Tournaments and Permits

All you need to know about hosting a tournament and basics on  applying for permits!

Looking to host a tournament?

Use the link below to request sanctioning for a Hockey Edmonton hockey tournament

Request for Tournament Sanction 

  • This form is only to be used by Hockey Edmonton organizations to submit a request for sanctioning of a tournament being hosted by a Hockey Edmonton organization (or team).
  • Once submitted the form will be circulated for approval from affected organizations/persons within Hockey Edmonton.
  • Once approved Hockey Edmonton will obtain a Sanction Number from Hockey Alberta and post the tournament as approved on their website.
  • The Tournament Director listed on the form will then be informed of the Sanction Number by Hockey Edmonton.
  • Please note, no Tournament Sanctions will be given to tournaments for U9 (Novice) or U7 (Initiation) (Senior only) which are scheduled to be held prior to November 1st.  

 Looking to find a tournament to participate in?

  • All Hockey Edmonton hosted tournaments are sanctioned through Hockey Alberta sanctioning site and posted on Hockey Alberta website - Tournament page.  
    • Click here to access.


Hockey Edmonton Teams will still be required to request a permit to play an Exhibition Game and attend a Tournament for the 2023/24 Season. 

If you have any questions, please email 


Looking for a PERMIT to ATTEND a tournament? Play an Exhibition game?

Hockey Edmonton will require ALL HOCKEY EDMONTON TEAMS to apply for a permit to play an exhibition game.  While Hockey Alberta does not require a permit for an exhibition game, to ensure our teams are fully permitted and covered to play an exhibition game and refs are assigned, Hockey Edmonton for the 2023-24 season will still require a permit and they will be managed by Discipline and Sanctions.  Leagues (EFHL, NAHL and AEHL) do not manage or require teams playing in the leagues to obtain permits, but the teams are required to follow the process in place by the MHA teams belong to.

All permits, especially for Exhibition Games, should be submitted with 72 hours notice please.


The link above will take you to the login page to apply for permits.  Your club registrar will have your login credentials.  Please do not change the credentials. Copy and paste into the login page to ensure accurate login credentials.

Exhibition Game requests:

  • AEHL Teams - the League Governor is to be contacted for advising and approval of the team playing an exhibition game.
    • Once the LG approves the exhibition game, it will be added to the schedule.
      • Team can then apply for a permit to play the game.
  • ONLY THE HOME TEAM will submit a permit for the game.
    • AEHL Teams can submit the permit after the AEHL League Governor has provided approval.
    • NAHL Teams do not require NAHL League Governor approval to play an exhibition game but it is advised to let them know about the game
    • U13 AA teams.
      • HOME TEAM submits the permit request if the game is on Hockey Edmonton Ice.
      • Teams are to put in the comment section of the permit, the start time of the ice slot, end time of ice slot and game length.
        • CAC and KC arenas are considered HE Ice
      • Teams who are the AWAY team and playing on ice that is not HE ice, will still need a permit to play the game.
  • DISCIPLINE will send the request to Dylan(AEHL & NAHL U15 and up) or Duncan(NAHL U13 AA) to assign refs.
    • Once I hear back from Dylan or Duncan, status of permit will be updated:
      • Approved - if game has been added to the assigning schedule.
      • Pending - if for any reason refs may not be assigned.
      • Denied - if refs can not be assigned.
      • Cancelled - if the game has been cancelled by the team requesting the permit or is a duplicate permit request.
        • Game should not be cancelled once refs have confirmed will be assigned, unless emergency.
  • Team will get an automated email from Ramp advising of permit status.  Every time a permit is reviewed, notes added, team will get an automated email and those notes will appear on the email.
  • Teams participating in the John Ferguson Memorial Exhibition Series can use the TOURNAMENT REQUEST permit. While the JFMES is not a tournament, this permit allows for all games participating in are on one (1) request

Tournament/Travel Permits:

  • Ensure the league is aware you wish to travel to a tournament.
  • Ensure NO league game conflicts
    • Game conflicts need to be resolved before applying to attend a tournament
  • Apply for the permit and if game conflicts have been resolved, add a note in the comment section of the permit


For all permit requests, you will use your EFHL Ramp Login to submit a permit on the EFHL website for the 2023/24 season.

TOURNAMENT PERMIT (this permit is also referred to as a Travel Permit). It is used to apply for permission to attend a tournament. Minor Hockey Week does not require a permit.

Before you apply for a Tournament permit, you should ensure there are no league game conflicts that need to be resolved.  Teams playing in EFHL have a couple of options regarding a Tournament Permit.  

  • EFHL offers "pay per use" requests for Black out dates
    • check the EFHL site for deadlines to apply for a blackout
  • Your permit request can remain pending until you resolve game conflicts
  • Your permit can be approved with teams "promising" to resolve game conflicts and if they do not, EFHL will levy a fine against the team.


Before you apply for an Exhibition Game Permit, contact your associations' RIC and request refs be assigned. Make sure you note in the comment section you have requested refs and who you contacted to have refs assigned.

Games on ice in the city, only the HOME Team needs to apply for the permit when playing another Edmonton team.

Games on ice outside the city and you are playing a team from outside Hockey Edmonton (for example Beaumont team) you will be the visiting team and will need to apply for a permit. The Beaumont team in this example is the Home team and will follow their association processes for permit requests and approval.


A detailed PERMITS FOR HOCKEY EDMONTON TEAMS PLAYING IN EFHL FOR 2023/24 has been sent to your association.  Make sure you ask for it and keep it handy.

RAMP Registration

Join thousands of association partners using RAMP Registration Solutions.

More Information

RAMP Official Assigning

#1 with Officials...for very good reasons.

More Information

RAMP Websites

Manage your identity from the palm of your hand to the top of your desk.

More Information

RAMP Team App

Keep your coaches, parents, athletes, and fans connected, seamlessly.

More Information